A Large Octagonal Art Deco Mirror from SS Duchess of Bedford, Circa 1928
The segmented central plate with glass cabochons surrounded by an inner border of blue glass and outer border of quartz colored glass separated by metal anthemion leaves, and ending in a metal leafed border.
Provenance: SS Duchess of Bedford built by John Brown at Clydebank in 1928 for the Canadian Pacific renamed RMS Empress of France in 1947.
The furnishings for many of John Brown`s ships were made by the Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts (1898-1966), a company of modern artists and designers associated with the Arts and Crafts Movement, founded by English sculptor Walter Gilbert. The guild was sought after for the high quality of their craftsmanship. The Guild received a Royal Warrant in 1908 and, perhaps most famously, supplied the main gates of Buckingham Palace. Their work appeared on numerous other luxury ships such as the RMS Lusitania and RMS Queen Mary.